Friday 19 February 2010

What Do I Think...

A big part of my writing life is reviews, mainly for Nursing Standard magazine. This week sees the publication of my last one, in Nursing Standard, this one of the Shoutloud website (http://www.shoutloud.org.uk/).

This was an interesting website, it’s a campaigning one to encourage people to lobby their local Primary Care Trust on the sexual health services they provide. Now, Britain has a terrible record on sexual health, our rates of Sexually Transmitted Infections would make a Victoria brothel house keeper blush, so this website is needed.

Summing up the pros and cons of it and recommending whether to use it or not, all in 250 words, is certainly an art. I can’t claim to be an expert at, but it’s something I am certainly learning.

Ten years ago this wouldn’t be where I saw my writing career being, but jobbing writing like this has taught me so much about the mechanics of writing, how to get your message across without wasting too many words (a thing that I can easily slip into). It is so a great boost to my confidence to be asked to write these reviews.

Drew.

No comments: