Sunday 25 April 2010

I Am Not Alone

Two weeks ago I blogged about my feelings about the proposed visit to England by the Pope – “I Don’t Want the Pope” (http://drewpayne.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-dont-want-pope.html ). Well, it seems I’m not alone.

A memo from the Foreign Office has surface with some very imaginative ideas for the Pope’s visit (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8642404.stm). The document (unfortunately not a policy statement) suggested different themes for the Pope’s visit. These included: the launch of "Benedict" condoms, the Pope could be invited to open an abortion clinic, bless a gay marriage, he could sack “dodgy bishops" (Ones that covered up the abuse by pedophile priests), launch a helpline for abused children and record a charity song with the Queen (the last idea is frightening, can either of them sing?).

Now the document wasn’t serious, just the result of a brainstorming exercise, but what if its suggestions were actual requirements of the Pope visiting this country. They would go a long way towards the Pope showing a penance for the sins of his church. But I’m not holding my breath. The Pope hasn’t even expressed any regret for the decades of covering up of the abuse of child by priests.

Drew.

No comments: