Wednesday 29 December 2021

Eight Book Reviews

 


Looking for some holiday reading? Here are eight of my book reviews that may prick your interest.

 

Arkansas by David Leavitt

David Leavitt has always been an interesting short story and novella writer, here is a collection of three of his novellas that are more than worth a read.

 

London Urban Legends by Scott Wood

I have always been fascinated by urban legends and so it appears has Scott Wood. This was the perfect read on my journey to and from work, on the London Underground..

 

The House of Stairs by (Ruth Rendell writing as) Barbara Vine

For many years I lived in Notting Hill, London, where this novel is set, and it turns on the head the convention of the crime novel.

 

From Doon with Death by Ruth Rendell

During the summer, I realised I had not read Ruth Rendell’s first novel, so I did. All great writers must start somewhere.

 

The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham

I first read this novel as a young teenager, when I found it very frightening. I reread it as an adult and found it uncomfortably disturbing. It is still thought-provoking now.

 

Logical Family: A Memoir by Armistead Maupin

SPOILER: One of the best things Armistead Maupin has written.

 

Liverpool Murders - Kirkdale Hangings 1870–1891 by Steven Horton

So much true crime literature is sensationalist, moral-panic writing or just plain voyeuristic. This book isn’t and it is fascinating for being so.

 

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick

SPOLIER: One of, if not the best novels Philip K Dick wrote.

 

No comments: